Monday, January 30, 2012
B1G players help North to Senior Bowl win
By Adam Rittenberg
The North team recorded a 23-13 win against the South in Saturday's Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and several Big Ten players contributed to the victory.
Big Ten players factored in all the scoring for the North squad. Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson and Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins both fired touchdown passes, and Purdue kicker Carson Wiggs connected on three field goal attempts, including a 28-yarder that helped seal the win with 4:11 left. The North starting offensive line featured four of five players from the Big Ten.
Other than Illinois receiver A.J. Jenkins and Illinois left tackle Jeff Allen, all of the Big Ten players in the game competed for the North squad.
Wilson started for the North and led three offensive series, two of which resulted in points. He finished the game 4 of 7 passing for 45 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Cousins was the third quarterback from the North squad to see the field and fired a 41-yard touchdown pass to Arizona State's Gerell Robinson early in the third quarter. Cousins finished the game 5 of 11 passing for 115 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
Wiggs connected on field goal attempts of 27, 28 and 32 yards and missed a 37-yard try in the closing minutes.
Other Big Ten notables:
- Michigan State safety Trenton Robinson had two tackles and a fumble recovery
- Ohio State wide receiver DeVier Posey had a 33-yard reception
- Nebraska linebacker Lavonte David had four tackles
- Penn State defensive end Jack Crawford had three tackles
- Michigan defensive tackle Mike Martin had three tackles
- Illinois wideout A.J. Jenkins had a 26-yard reception
- Michigan State tight end Brian Linthicum had a 9-yard reception
- Penn State cornerback D'Anton Lynn had two tackles
- Wisconsin punter Brad Nortman averaged 43.7 yards on three attempts and also had one kickoff, while Wiggs had five kickoffs.
- Ohio State running back Dan Herron had six carries for 14 yards and two receptions for 4 yards
- Wisconsin long-snapper Kyle Wojta had one tackle
- Wisconsin fullback Bradie Ewing had one carry for 1 yard
North team starters included: Wilson, Ewing, Linthicum, Ohio State left tackle Mike Adams, Ohio State center Mike Brewster, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler, Penn State guard Johnnie Troutman, Crawford, Martin and Robinson. Jenkins and Allen both came off the bench for the South squad.