Monday, February 27, 2012
Big Ten combine results: DL, LB
By Adam Rittenberg
If you checked out my Big Ten combine post from the morning, I bet you're itching for more information from the big event in Indianapolis. The defensive linemen and linebackers went through their full workouts Monday, and official results are in for seven tests.
While the 40 time and vertical jump don't mean everything, prospects can help themselves with strong numbers before all the major talent evaluators.
Here are some of the Big Ten's top performers among the linemen and linebackers:
- Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus ranked fourth in 40-yard dash (4.68 seconds); tied for eighth in broad jump (9 feet, 10 inches); ranked 13th in 3-cone drill (7.17 seconds).
- Penn State defensive end Jack Crawford ranked 14th in 40-yard dash (4.85 seconds); tied for 11th in broad jump (9 feet, 8 inches); ranked 12th in 3-cone drill (7.15 seconds); and tied for sixth in 20-yard shuttle (4.25 seconds).
- Michigan defensive tackle Mike Martin tied for second in bench press (36 reps of 225 pounds); tied for 13th in vertical jump (33.5 inches); and tied for sixth in 20-yard shuttle (4.25 seconds).
- Nebraska's Lavonte David ranked seventh in 40-yard dash (4.65 seconds); ranked eighth in vertical jump (36.5 inches); sixth in 20-yard shuttle (4.22 seconds); and tied for 11th in broad jump (9 feet, 11 inches).
- Iowa's Tyler Nielsen ranked 15th in 40-yard dash (4.74 seconds); tied for first in 60-yard shuttle (11.43 seconds); and tied for 13th in 20-yard shuttle (4.31 seconds).
- Penn State's Nathan Stupar ranked fourth in 60-yard shuttle (11.64 seconds) and tied for seventh in 20-yard shuttle (4.28 seconds).
For more on the combine, check out our NFL draft blog.