Thursday, October 29, 2009
Iowa's Parker makes best assistants list
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
My colleague Bruce Feldman recently ranked the nation's top 10 assistant coaches (ESPN Insider) this season, and one Big Ten aide made the rundown. Iowa defensive coordinator Norm Parker checks in at No. 2 after helping the Hawkeyes to an 8-0 start with the defense leading the way.
Parker's unit leads the nation in interceptions (15) and ranks fourth in takeaways (22). The Hawkeyes rank fifth nationally in pass efficiency defense, 14th in points allowed (14.8 points per game) and 18th in total yards allowed (296.5 yards per game).
At 68, Parker is no up-and-comer, but the guy has been vastly underrated for years and hopefully this amazing run that the Hawkeyes are on helps him finally get the credit he deserves.
Couldn't agree more. No other Big Ten assistants made Feldman's rundown, but who else deserves some love around the Big Ten? I've been very impressed with these assistants this season.
- Ohio State defensive coordinators Jim Heacock and Luke Fickell
- Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley
- Penn State defensive line coach Larry Johnson
- Iowa defensive line coach Rick Kaczenski
- Iowa defensive backs coach Phil Parker
- Iowa linebackers and special teams coach Darrell Wilson
- Minnesota linebackers coach John Butler
- Northwestern wide receivers coach Kevin Johns
- Wisconsin defensive line coach Charlie Partridge
- Indiana wide receivers coach Billy Lynch
- Michigan running backs coach Fred Jackson
- Michigan State quarterbacks coach Dave Warner
- Purdue offensive line coach Shawn Clark