Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Big Ten Tuesday personnel roundup
By Adam Rittenberg
Some more personnel nuggets from around the league ...
- Illinois LB Jonathan Brown (shoulder) is out for Saturday's game against Minnesota, coach Tim Beckman confirmed. Brown sustained the injury last Saturday at Ohio State and is "week to week," according to Beckman. Freshman Mike Svetina will step in for Brown, an All-Big Ten player in 2011 who is tied for the team lead in tackles (59) and leads the team in tackles for loss (9.5). He also has a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
- Minnesota WR A.J. Barker (ankle) is doubtful for the Illinois game, according to coach Jerry Kill. Barker, the Gophers' top receiver (30 catches, 577 yards, 7 TDs), tried to play last week against Michigan but tweaked the injury in pregame warm-ups. He won't practice today. "Unless a miracle takes place, I don't look for him to play," Kill said. Another Gophers WR, Derrick Engel, is questionable for the Illinois game after injuring his hamstring against Michigan.
- Penn State DT Jordan Hill (knee) and TE Kyle Carter (foot) are both day-to-day for this week's game at Nebraska, coach Bill O'Brien said. Carter sat out last week at Purdue, while Hill sustained a nasty-looking injury that turned out to be just a sprain. Decisions on both men will be made later in the week, while RB Curtis Dukes (head) is out for the Nebraska game. O'Brien also said Penn State's running back competition continues this week after Zach Zwinak shined in the Purdue game, while Bill Belton was a nonfactor.
- Iowa likely will be without RB Mark Weisman (groin) for the second straight game Saturday against Purdue. Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz isn't overly optimistic about having Weisman, noting that the sophomore couldn't do anything in Sunday's workout. Weisman has logged countless hours in the training room trying to get back on the field, but as Ferentz noted, "Nature has to take its course."
- Purdue WR O.J. Ross (toe) likely will play this week against Illinois, coach Danny Hope said, while RB/KR Raheem Mostert (knee) and DT Brandon Taylor (ankle) are doubtful. Senior DT Kawann Short (ankle) expects to play after seeing fewer snaps in the Penn State game.
- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer says there's a better than 50 percent chance LB Etienne Sabino (leg) returns following the open week at Wisconsin. Sabino, who broke his leg Oct. 6 against Nebraska, recently met with the training staff. "We need him," Meyer said.