Monday, November 9, 2009
Big Ten nuggets: Stanzi not on depth chart
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
A few afternoon nuggets for you.
- As expected, Iowa junior quarterback Ricky Stanzi doesn't appear on this week's depth chart for the Ohio State game. Head coach Kirk Ferentz will address Stanzi's status Tuesday, but said Saturday that he expected the quarterback to miss the final two regular-season games. Redshirt freshman James Vandenberg is listed as the starter and classmate John Wienke is the backup. Safety Brett Greenwood (neck) also doesn't appear on the depth chart, as Joe Conklin likely will make his second straight start.
- Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema expects star running back John Clay to play against Michigan after the sophomore suffered a head injury in the Indiana win.
- Bielema has indefinitely suspended reserve wide receiver Maurice Moore after his arrest for operating while intoxicated early Sunday. Moore was involved in a one-car accident near Camp Randall Stadium and was hospitalized with minor injuries. He played in Saturday's road win against Indiana.
- Bielema wants the Big Ten to review a bizarre muffed punt from the Indiana game. Wisconsin return man David Gilreath signaled for a fair catch, only to have the ball hit his helmet. Indiana's Collin Taylor then caught the ball before it hit the ground, which by rule impedes Gilreath's chance to make a legal fair catch.
- Michigan running back Brandon Minor continues to be bothered by injuries. The Wolverines senior re-aggravated an ankle sprain against Purdue and also sustained a bruised shoulder. Head coach Rich Rodriguez isn't sure how healthy Minor will be for the Wisconsin game.
- Juice Williams is still listed as the starting quarterback on Illinois' depth chart even though he's questionable to play against Northwestern because of an ankle injury.
- Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald said X-rays were negative on the throwing hand of backup quarterback Dan Persa, who sustained an injury in the second half at Iowa. Fitzgerald lists Persa as day to day, while starter Mike Kafka (hamstring) is improving.