Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Big Ten boasts 8 Academic All-Americans
By ESPN.com staff
For the fifth consecutive season, the Big Ten led all conferences with eight players named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America teams, which were announced today. The Big Ten leads all leagues with six first-team selections, the third-highest total in conference history.
Here are the honorees and their grade-point averages:
- Michigan P Zoltan Mesko, 3.65
- Michigan State WR Blair White, 3.89
- Northwestern WR Zeke Markshausen, 3.46
- Penn State LB Josh Hull, 3.56
- Penn State C Stefen Wisniewksi, 3.89
- Penn State LS Andrew Pitz, 3.93
- Northwestern K Stefan Demos, 3.49
- Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan, 3.38
Penn State and Texas are the only schools with multiple first-team selections, and Penn State is the lone school with three honorees.
The most impressive thing about this list is that it includes seven All-Big Ten performers, including four first-team selections in Mesko (media and coaches), Wisniewski (media and coaches), White (coaches) and Kerrigan (media). Congratulations to all the honorees.