Friday, June 7, 2013
ESPN selects early season Big Ten games
By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN has announced the Big Ten games it will televise during the first three weeks of the 2013 season. Final TV selections for some of the games will be finalized as the dates approach.
Here are the games announced Friday:
- Buffalo at Ohio State, noon ET, ESPN2
- Syracuse vs. Penn State (at East Rutherford, N.J.), 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC regional (ESPN2 mirror)
- South Florida at Michigan State, noon ET, ESPN2 or ESPNU
- Cincinnati at Illinois, noon ET, ESPN2 or ESPNU
- San Diego State at Ohio State, 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC regional (ESPN2 mirror)
- UCLA at Nebraska, noon ET, ABC national
- Bowling Green at Indiana, noon ET, ESPNU
These games go along with the six prime-time contests controlled by the Big Ten that ESPN/ABC will televise. Other ESPN games announced include Iowa at Minnesota on Sept. 28 (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC); Minnesota at Michigan on Oct. 5 (3:30 p.m., ABC or ESPN or ESPN2); Iowa at Ohio State on Oct. 19 (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC or ESPN or ESPN2); and Iowa at Nebraska on Nov. 29 (noon ET, ABC).
The most notable announcement Friday is UCLA-Nebraska at noon ET. Although Husker fans might prefer a later kickoff time, this should be an advantage for Bo Pelini's squad as UCLA will be playing at 9 a.m. California time. Cal had to deal with an early start last year at Ohio State.
Speaking of the Buckeyes, they won't have nearly as many noon ET home kickoffs this season, which has to please head coach Urban Meyer.