Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Big Ten lunch links
By Adam Rittenberg
Media days are on tap Tuesday and Wednesday. Today's menu once again is all about the links.
- Urban Meyer waits for the facts before imposing final punishment, Bill Livingston writes. Meyer's message isn't resonating with some Buckeyes players, Bob Hunter writes. Meyer's holier-than-thou routine isn't working when it comes to player conduct, Dan Wetzel writes. Meyer needs a better plan to keep players out of trouble, Shawn Windsor writes.
- More from the Big Ten preseason writers poll here and here.
- Michigan coach Brady Hoke invites the young Ohio State fan who called his cancer "Michigan" to The Game this fall in Ann Arbor. Wolverines QB Devin Gardner is ready for the spotlight. A look at the Wolverines' fullbacks and tight ends. Michigan's offense must remedy its turnover woes. Longtime Michigan equipment manager Jon Falk will retire after the season.
- Penn State nearly became a member of the ACC, not the Big Ten, in 1990, David Jones writes. Dennis Dodd looks at Penn State a year after the NCAA sanctions came down. Lions coach Bill O'Brien is focused on fall camp.
- Ken Thompson picks the best Purdue teams by generation. The Boilers are in good shape to land a defensive end recruit.
- Nebraska comes in second in the Legends Division in the preseason writers poll. Former Huskers lineman Chase Rome will play at Memphis. Nebraska's camp countdown continues with LB David Santos.
- Minnesota center Brian Bobek (virus) is questionable for preseason camp, Nate Sandell writes. Gophers assistant Jim Zebrowski weighs in on Philip Nelson and the team's other QBs. The forecast is bleak for Minnesota in the loaded Legends Division.
- Not surprisingly, Wisconsin is picked second in the Leaders Division. Badgers incoming freshman and all-name team nominee Jazz Peavy expects to be ready for camp despite a hamstring injury.
- Michigan State doesn't get much respect in the writers poll. Former Spartans DT Anthony Rashad White signs with the New England Patriots.
- If you didn't hear what Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby had to say Monday, check it out.
- Illinois really needs the season to kick off, Loren Tate writes.
- A look at Iowa's wide receiver depth heading into camp.
- Indiana could be the Big Ten's surprise team this season.
- Northwestern can channel much of its recruiting energy toward the 2015 class.
- The Sporting News' Matt Hayes on college players thinking they're bulletproof.