Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Big Ten picks rewind: Week 11
By Adam Rittenberg
Our Week 11 picks were identical, and we both fell short of perfection following Nebraska's late rally against Michigan. Brian Bennett retains a 1-game lead in the season standings with three weeks to go. The loser pays for dinner in Indy.
Let's take a look at how we fared.
Week 11/Season record
Brian Bennett: 4-1/64-13
Adam Rittenberg: 4-1/63-14
Here's one final look at the Week 11 predictions from us and our guest picker, Adam Miller from Los Angeles.
It's rewind time ...
Penn State at Minnesota
Iowa at Purdue
- Bennett's pick: Minnesota 24, Penn State 20
- Rittenberg's pick: Minnesota 31, Penn State 24
- Actual score: Minnesota 24, Penn State 10
- 20-20 hindsight: Bennett nailed Minnesota's score and pegged the Gophers' ground game for another big day. Penn State had two turnovers, not the three he predicted. Minnesota RB David Cobb (139 rush yards, TD) came close to my prediction (150 yards, 2 TDs), and the Gophers held Allen Robinson and the Penn State offense in check more than I thought they would.
Illinois at Indiana
- Bennett's pick: Iowa 38, Purdue 3
- Rittenberg's pick: Iowa 31, Purdue 7
- Actual score: Iowa 38, Purdue 14
- 20-20 hindsight: Bennett goes 2-for-2 on winning teams' scores, and correctly pegged Iowa QB Jake Rudock for two touchdown passes. I would have had Purdue's score right if not for a long touchdown in the final minute. Mark Weisman had a touchdown run for the Hawkeyes, but it was Jordan Canzeri, not Weisman or Damon Bullock, who truly sparked the ground game with 165 yards.
- Bennett's pick: Indiana 38, Illinois 35
- Rittenberg's pick: Indiana 45, Illinois 41
- Actual score: Indiana 52, Illinois 35
- 20-20 hindsight: Bennett once again nailed a score prediction here, although both of us underestimated Indiana's offensive clout in the second half. Hoosiers RB Tevin Coleman (215 rush yards, 2 TDs) exceeded the lofty rushing prediction I had for him (180 yards, 3 TDs), and Indiana actually overcame a 450-yard passing effort from Nathan Scheelhaase, not a 300-yarder.
Nebraska at Michigan
BYU at Wisconsin
- Bennett's pick: Michigan 27, Nebraska 17
- Rittenberg's pick: Michigan 38, Nebraska 31
- Actual score: Nebraska 17, Michigan 13
- 20-20 hindsight: Big swing and a miss here, as we expected Michigan's offense to show up (and Nebraska to score more than it did). Huskers RB Ameer Abdullah (105 rush yards TD) came somewhat close to my prediction (150 yards, 2 TDs), but Michigan QB Devin Gardner struggled again. Bennett's concerns about a hangover effect for Gardner and the Wolverines proved true.
- Bennett's pick: Wisconsin 28, BYU 24
- Rittenberg: Wisconsin 34, BYU 26
- Actual score: Wisconsin 27, BYU 17
- 20-20 hindsight: Bennett wrapped up a strong week of score predictions by nearly getting Wisconsin's total on the number. I was a bit closer on the Badgers' margin of victory, although RBs James White and Melvin Gordon combined for three touchdown dances, not four. Bennett correctly had Wisconsin's run defense stepping up, as the Badgers held BYU to 10 points in the first 56 minutes.
You've seen our predictions. Now it's time to check on how Adam fared.
Penn State 28, Minnesota 24
Iowa 27, Purdue 14
Indiana 41, Illinois 21
Michigan 34, Nebraska 27
Wisconsin 34, BYU 17
Adam finished 3-2 as he missed on both Minnesota and Nebraska. His score predictions weren't great, but he came close on victory margin in several games.
Want to be this week's guest picker? Tell us why you should be the choice for Week 11 here
(be sure to put "GUEST PICKS" in the body of your post).