Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Big Ten lunchtime links: Paterno wary of title snubs
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Hope you brought your appetite.
"If we can win the next three games and have a chance to play a good team in a bowl game and we win that one, I would be disappointed that our kids hadn't gotten that chance, as I was in '94," Paterno said yesterday on his weekly conference call. "In '94, the problem was not me personally, it's a question of a bunch of kids that do everything you ask them to do and then at the end, they don't get what you think they deserve.
"I don't have an Achilles' heel and I can't hang myself. I'm not about to have somebody come along and shoot me, that kind of thing. We're going to play football as well as we know how to play, and hopefully, things will turn out well for us."
- Minnesota might shuffle its offensive line to spark the run game, while head coach Tim Brewster is making sure his players see the empty case that soon could hold the Little Brown Jug, Kent Youngblood writes in the Star Tribune.
- Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi is struggling to identify signals from the sideline, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette.
- Bye weeks haven't been kind to Ohio State in the past -- or to Big Ten teams this season -- but the Buckeyes sound more unified than they've been in recent weeks, Ken Gordon writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
- A season full of drama has produced few bright spots at Michigan, as The Detroit News' Angelique Chengelis breaks down what went wrong.
- Despite a sagging national image, the Big Ten remains in good position to earn two BCS bowl berths for the fourth straight year, Herb Gould writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.