Big Ten: Abeberell Satterfield
Spring football is under way at all 11 Big Ten schools. Great time of the year.
- Purdue star defensive end Ryan Kerrigan will miss the remainder of spring ball after reinjuring his surgically repaired foot, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Jim Tressel is seeing steady improvement from Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor following the Rose Bowl. Some notes from Ohio State's first practice, including the continued absence of wide receiver Duron Carter.
- Greg Robinson wants to put more speed and flexibility into Michigan's defense this fall, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News.
- Some interesting comparisons between chess and Penn State's quarterback situation from the Centre Daily Times' Jeff Rice.
- Indiana coach Bill Lynch likes what he's seeing from the 3-4 defensive alignment so far this spring, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required).
- Iowa offensive lineman Woody Orne brings an interesting mental makeup to the competition up front, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. The Hawkeyes are looking for a backup tight end this spring, Randy Peterson writes in the Des Moines Register. Former Iowa player Abeberell Satterfield goes on trial for sexual assault this month.
- After failing to eat his way into a linebacker, Wisconsin's Conor O'Neill hopes to contribute at safety this fall, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
July, 10, 2008
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
A few items to chew on before dinner:
- You probably need a law degree or three to completely understand this story, but the Iowa City Press-Citizen is seeking access to investigative subpoenas in the sexual assault case of former Hawkeyes football players Cedric Everson and Abeberell Satterfield. The county attorney's office isn't making much information public, but the newspaper isn't standing by (good for them). If you need a refresher on a very ugly situation that could follow coach Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes throughout a critical season, here's one.
- Jim Tressel might be pillaging Penn State's backyard for top recruits, but the Nittany Lions are making up for it in Maryland. Penn State's 2009 recruiting class includes six commits from MD.
- Illinois linebacker Brit Miller is already one of the Big Ten's most entertaining personalities. Now he's working toward becoming one of the league's best defenders, Mark Tupper of the Decatur Herald & Review writes.
- The domino effect of the Big Ten Network's agreement with Comcast continues. As the BTN and Mediacom continue to talk, Verizon signed a deal to carry the network on FiOS TV, which is like cable except it's delivered through fiber optic lines. Pretty cool.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Purdue Indiana 12:00 PM ET Michigan 6 Ohio State 3:30 PM ET 10 Michigan State Penn State 3:30 PM ET 18 Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Maryland