Big Ten: Doug Downing
September, 14, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Prett-ay, prett-ay, pretty good links ...
- Ohio State's freshman trio of defensive linemen is living up to the hype early on. Jim Tressel could appear at Ohio Stadium for the Michigan game when the 2002 team is honored.
- Two Michigan State receivers jumped at the chance to play instead of taking a redshirt. The Spartans' defense starts with its outstanding corners.
- Courtney Avery is still the starter at one of Michigan's cornerback spots, but competition is heating up there. Wolverines offensive lineman Michael Schofield has a brother playing college football, too.
- Are recent player departures a reason for concern at Nebraska? Redshirt freshman Kevin Williams is quickly becoming an important player on the Huskers' defensive line.
- Northwestern receiver Rashad Lawrence has come a long way from growing up in a rough section of Orlando.
- Fifth-year senior Jack Ramsey may have finally found his niche at Illinois. Looking at the 2013 Illini recruiting class.
- Kevin Wilson's redshirt policies work well for Indiana, Andy Graham writes (subscription required).
- Iowa could get faster at receiver in the future, thanks to recruiting. The current Hawkeyes receivers look for a bounce-back performance this weekend against Northern Iowa.
- Minnesota's starting center and a backup corner are questionable for the Western Michigan game.
- Former Purdue quarterback Doug Downing will be on the opposite sideline this weekend as an Eastern Michigan assistant coach. Ricardo Allen hopes to play, but a tweaked ankle might keep the star corner on the Boilers bench.
- Michael Trotter moves into the starting safety role for Wisconsin in place of the injured Shelton Johnson. The Badgers got a commitment from an Illinois tight end/defensive end.
- Can Paul Jones help the struggling Penn State offense by moving to tight end? Freshman defensive end Deion Barnes is creating a buzz.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27 Final Miami (FL) 31 24 Nebraska 41