Big Ten: Henry Bienen
December, 24, 2008
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Posted by the ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Maybe Santa will bring Big Ten teams some luck in what looks to be some extremely tough bowl matchups.
- Penn State head coach Joe Paterno downplayed his recent contract extension, saying it was more for recruiting purposes than anything else, Robyn Norwood writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
"To be frank, I got tired of people asking me how long I'm going to coach," Paterno said. "I said, 'Pick three years, all right, and we'll go from there.'"
- Despite a speedy recovery from hip-replacement surgery, Paterno isn't sure if he'll be on the sideline at the Rose Bowl, Corina Knoll writes in the Los Angeles Times.
- The Capital Times in Madison has named Wisconsin's all-time roster, identifying the best Badgers player to wear each number. Former coach and current athletic director Barry Alvarez was among the voters for the roster. Some very cool stuff here.
- Northwestern's new president Morton Schapiro will attend the Valero Alamo Bowl and appears likely to continue the strong support of athletics started by his predecessor, Henry Bienen, Jim O'Donnell writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- It's been quite a year for Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor, and The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Doug Lesmerises chronicles the key dates.
- Wisconsin tight end Garrett Graham looks for another big bowl performance, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27 Final Miami (FL) 31 24 Nebraska 41