Big Ten: Jeff Zgonina
November, 26, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
A few notes and nuggets to get you ready for Week 13 in Big Ten play. As always, thanks to ESPN Stats & Info for several of these.
- Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson has been called upon to run the ball a lot more than Ohio State signal caller Terrelle Pryor has this season, but both men have had success on designed runs. Robinson has taken 174 snaps this season knowing he is the designated ball carrier and has kept the ball 31 additional times off a zone read. He has averaged 7.5 yards per carry on these plays and has scored 23 touchdowns. Pryor has been involved in 56 designed runs, averaging 7.6 yards per carry with seven touchdowns.
- Pryor does his most damage as a ball-carrier on third down. Since 2009, he leads the FBS with 15 carries of 15 yards or more on third down, three more than Eastern Michigan's Alex Gillett. Pryor has averaged 13.1 yards on 23 third-down scrambles the past two seasons.
- Even if Wisconsin fails to score in each of its past two games, it will set a school record for most points per game in a season (current record is 34.3 in 2005).
- Purdue star defensive end Ryan Kerrigan needs 1.5 sacks to match Rosevelt Colvin's career team record of 35. Kerrigan needs two sacks to match Colvin's single-season team record of 15 and three tackles for loss to match Jeff Zgonina's single-season team record of 28.
- Indiana did not commit a penalty against Penn State last weekend. It marked the first time the Hoosiers avoided an infraction since a 45-3 win against Murray State on Sept. 6, 2008. Before 2008, Indiana went 27 years without a flag-free game (vs. Michigan on Oct. 3, 1981). The Hoosiers are tied for fourth nationally in fewest penalties (4.3) and tied for 11th in fewest penalty yards (40.6 ypg).
- An Iowa offense that averaged 34.1 points over its first eight games of the season has struggled to score lately, failing to crack the 20-point mark in three straight games. It’s the first time Iowa has scored fewer than 20 points in three consecutive contests since 2007.
- Minnesota quarterback Adam Weber will make his 50th consecutive start Saturday against Iowa. Weber ranks third among active FBS quarterbacks in career pass attempts (1,569), career completions (896) and career passing yards (10,753).
- The Northwestern-Wisconsin series has been evenly matched during the past 25 years, with Northwestern winning 11 of the 21 meetings since 1985. Prior to that, it was all Wisconsin, with the Badgers winning 13 straight in the series from 1972-84.
- Penn State's Joe Paterno, who turns 84 on Dec. 21, is the second-oldest major college football coach in history. If he's still Penn State’s head coach when he turns 85, he will become the first 85-year-old head coach of a major-college football program. Amos Alonzo Stagg was 84 for his final season (1946 at Pacific).
- The Michigan State senior class has won a team record 32 games, one more than class of 1990. With a win Saturday, Michigan State will set a school record for wins in a season (11).