Big Ten: John McColgan
August, 22, 2011
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
My kickball season started yesterday. Not quite as exciting as the opening kick next Thursday.
- Ohio State is embracing an interesting new role: underdog. Buckeyes linebacker Etienne Sabino has a broken left hand but expects to play in the opener. There's still a Tressel on the OSU staff, and Dick Tressel says he doesn't know why his brother was forced out.
- Mike Martin is a leader on and off the field for Michigan. Devin Gardner has been a solid backup to Denard Robinson. Freed from the spread offense, fullback John McColgan should have a bigger role this year.
- Michigan State's defense dominated a Saturday scrimmage. Todd Anderson and Micajah Reynolds could be important role players for the Spartans this year. Safety Jairus Jones has returned quickly from a torn Achilles' tendon.
- Wisconsin is trying to get Louis Nzegwu up to speed as a pass-rusher. The Badgers landed a highly rated safety from New Jersey. Kevin Claxton is grateful for his second chance after being arrested as a high school senior.
- Penn State is looking for more production from its tight ends. Silas Redd learned toughness from his father, who was both a Marine and a police detective. Chaz Powell hopes the versatility he's shown for the Lions will help him get to the NFL.
- Illinois coach Ron Zook took a licking but kept on ticking. Bob Asmussen has his final report from Camp Rantoul.
- Matt Perez is a different runner for Indiana (subscription required). Kevin Wilson has brought intensity to the Hoosiers.
- Carl Davis will be needed on a new-look Iowa defensive line. Do expectations really matter for the Hawkeyes? C.J. Fiedorowicz was humbled as a freshman but is ready for more in 2011.
- Some newcomers impressed at a weekend scrimmage for the Gophers. That's good, because Jerry Kill says he doesn't have enough depth to redshirt players this year.
- Some lingering injuries on the offensive line are a concern for Nebraska. Walk-on Justin Blatchford should play a key role for the Blackshirts.
- Pat Fitzgerald is getting his own Ryan Field mural.
- Here are five developments from Purdue's training camp, including the quarterback situation.