Big Ten: Jory Helms
My condolences to the city of Cleveland.
- The Big Ten could add more than 9 million TV households for its network if it expands to the East, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune. The league likely will expand, but don't expect it to happen overnight, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe will try to keep his league united at its upcoming meetings, while the Kansas City Sports Commission will meet with Missouri to gauge the school's future plans.
- Michigan is the top state for college football fans to watch this fall, as it features plenty of story lines, Dave Curtis writes in The Sporting News.
- Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly could have worked his magic at Michigan or Michigan State, Lynn Henning writes in The Detroit News.
- A new proposal could allow alcohol to be served in portions of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium, including at least one-third of the general seating area, Mike Kaszuba writes in the Star Tribune.
- Former Iowa player Jory Helms is fighting kidney failure, Evelyn Lau writes in The Daily Iowan.
- Penn State will never join an Eastern league, David Jones writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Personal reasons prompted recruit Levi Norwood to ask for his release from Penn State, Nittany Network's Josh Moyer writes.
- Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan secures another preseason honor, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- The Daily Illini counts down the top 10 moments in Illinois football history.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Purdue Illinois 12:00 PM ET 20 Ohio State Maryland 2:30 PM ET North Texas Indiana 3:30 PM ET 17 Wisconsin Northwestern 7:00 PM ET Michigan Rutgers 8:00 PM ET 19 Nebraska 10 Michigan State