Big Ten: Kevin Sousa
Ah, it’s always good to visit Big Ten country …
- What matters when attempting to divide the new 12-team Big Ten into divisions? Dave Curtis of The Sporting News offers some suggestions.
- Geography, writes Teddy Greenstein, is third on the list of priorities for commissioner Jim Delany.
- Purdue has announced a few staff changes.
- The offensive line may be Iowa’s biggest question mark.
- Incoming Michigan quarterback Kevin Sousa says he’ll do “whatever they tell me to do.”
A lot of recruiting nuggets today.
- Iowa star Adrian Clayborn apparently thinks Iowa State doesn't exist, Mark Emmert writes in the Des Moines Register. Iowa can't entirely tune out the preseason hype, although the Hawkeyes are doing their best to stay focused, Andy Hamilton writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Northwestern lands its No. 1 target at quarterback for the 2011 class, and he's from the bayou, ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers writes. Zack Oliver's name has topped Northwestern's recruiting board for a while, Lindsey Willhite writes in the Daily Herald.
- Michigan adds two more verbals to its 2011 class, including quarterback Kevin Sousa, annarbor.com's Jeff Arnold writes. Missed this one from last week, but The Sporting News' Dave Curtis thinks Michigan goes 5-7 this fall.
- Wisconsin also adds to its recruiting class with linebacker Derek Landisch, Jim Polzin writes in The Capital Times. The preview mags love the Badgers, Mike Lucas writes in The Capital Times.
- Forget 2011, as Ohio State just landed its first verbal commitment for 2012 in linebacker Joshua Perry, Tim May writes in The Columbus Dispatch. Former Buckeyes receiver Duron Carter starts over at a Kansas juco.
- A look at the Penn State-Alabama series through the years from statecollege.com's Luke Fetkovich. Penn State officials understand the risk with their new, more expensive ticket plan for football, Cory Giger writes in The Altoona Mirror.
- The Purdue-Notre Dame game is must-see TV on college football's opening weekend, Matt Murschel writes in the Orlando Sentinel. Former Purdue star Mark Hermann learned he was a college football Hall of Famer through the mail, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- The preseason publications aren't high on Indiana for 2010, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required).
- Now that Reilly O'Toole is committed to Illinois for 2011, his next task is to recruit other top prospects for the Illini, Jeremy Werner writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
1:57 4th Qtr 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 5:16 2nd Qtr Western Michigan 10 Air Force 13 9:15 PM ET South Alabama Bowling Green
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State