Big Ten: Patrick Destefano
Let's get linky.
- In case you missed it from earlier today, I clarify the Big Ten's proposal to restructure scholarships. Here's a good look at the Big Ten's debate about whether to add a ninth league game from The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer's Doug Lesmerises.
- Big Ten coaches are concerned about the spread of 7-on-7 teams.
- Some good links from the ESPN Recruiting crew on the Columbus NFTC here and here and here.
- Ohio State comes in at No. 9 on Athlon Sports' preseason countdown. Weigh in on whether Ohio State's Terrelle Pryor should regain his starting job if his replacement is thriving.
- Michigan now turns its recruiting focus to the secondary, Josh Helmholdt writes in the Detroit Free Press. Annarbor.com's Michael Rothstein catches up with former Michigan star Jarrett Irons.
- The timing of Ron Guenther's decision to retire leaves Illinois in a bit of a bind, GateHouse News Service's John Supinie writes.
- A look at Penn State's September slate from The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News' Jared Shanker. Coveted offensive line recruit Patrick Destefano picks Clemson over Penn State.
- Nebraska AD Tom Osborne disusses the Big Ten, the BCS, how he misses coaching and other topics with the Orlando Sentinel's Matt Murschel.
- Indiana AD Fred Glass is glad the Big Ten is discussing scholarship upgrades, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times.
- Check out the On Iowa podcast with Marc Morehouse and Scott Dochterman.
- Wide receiver recruit Tyrone Williams sounds very interested in Purdue, Rivals.com's Brian Neubert writes.
- Former Minnesota player Pinky McNamara passes away.
- Car salesman Aaron Kniffin says his sales to Ohio State players were all legit, WBNS-TV reports.
- Nebraska appears at No. 10 on Athlon Sports' preseason countdown. Three Nebraska defenders appear on the early 2012 draft boards, Brian Christopherson writes in the Lincoln Journal Star.
- Michigan coach Brady Hoke is winning the in-state recruiting battle, Pat Caputo writes in The Daily Tribune.
- Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez advocates making the scholarship go further for athletes, Andy Baggot writes in the Wisconsin State Journal. SEC commissioner Mike Slive seems to agree, Jon Solomon writes in The Birmingham News.
- Retiring Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther has a close bond with Big Ten commish Jim Delany, Loren Tate writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette. A list potential athletic director candidates for Illinois.
- An interesting piece by The Columbus Dispatch's Ken Gordon on how the wait for the Hall of Fame call can be a lot longer for some than others.
- Recruit Patrick Destefano could fulfill his father's dream by playing ball at Penn State, Frank Bodani writes in the York Daily Record. Unlike last spring, JoePa is making the rounds, statecollege.com's Mike Poorman writes.
- Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz talks about finishing games better, John Bohnekamp writes in The Hawk Eye.
- Minnesota quarterback MarQueis Gray is a guy to rally around, Jim Souhan writes in the Star Tribune. Minnesota's academic situation is better than coach Jerry Kill expected, Sid Hartman writes in the Star Tribune.
- Indiana lands its first commitment for 2012. Former Hoosiers quarterback Dave Schnell dies after battling cancer.
- Purdue comes in at No. 84 on the Orlando Sentinel's countdown of FBS teams.
- Missed this from last week, but Bill Connelly looks at how Northwestern keeps defying the stats and winning.