Friday, July 5, 2013
Horton, Ference off the board
A couple of key players from the Bruins' team that reached the Stanley Cup finals in two of the past three seasons signed elsewhere on Friday:
* The Edmonton Oilers signed defenseman Andrew Ference to a four-year deal on Friday. Ference's deal is worth $3.25 million a year, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.
The 34-year-old Edmonton native was a key part of the Bruins' run to the Stanley Cup final, although there was no room for him to return to Boston because of salary-cap issues and plenty of young defensemen coming up through the ranks.
In 760 career NHL games, Ference has 37 goals and 156 assists. He was a part of the Bruins' Stanley Cup championship team in 2011.
* The Columbus Blue Jackets made a major move Friday to shore up their lagging offense by signing free-agent right wing Nathan Horton.
The 28-year-old forward, who visited Columbus earlier this week, signed a seven-year deal. A source told ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance that Horton's deal has a total value of $37.1 million, with $30 million paid in the first five years of the deal.
Horton, who still needs offseason shoulder surgery which will delay the start of his season, had already informed the Bruins he was not interested in re-signing in Boston.