Monday, August 30, 2010
Begin says B's have shown interest
By James Murphy
Earlier this summer, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told the media that he had informed unrestricted free agent forward Steve Begin and his agent that the team "was going in a different direction" in order to give younger players a chance to make the team. But according to the 32-year old Begin, the Bruins are still interested in bringing him back for another season in Black and Gold. Begin told the French-Canadian sports station RDS that there is interest from the Bruins still but that the team's salary cap issues have prevented them from making an offer. According to Capgeek.com, the Bruins are currently $3.087 million over the $59.4 salary cap.
"They [the Bruins] still want to sign me but they have some cap issues,” Begin told RDS. “They are trying to make some changes but the market is quiet right now"
After spending the last four seasons with the rival Canadiens, Begin signed a one-year contract with Boston last summer. The pesky forward had five goals and nine assists with 53 penalty minutes in 77 games in 2009-10.
When asked if he would consider returning to Montreal to play for the Habs, Begin replied: "I would like to return to Boston, it would be my first choice. But I want to play, and I'll be happy wherever."