Wednesday, April 27, 2011
By the numbers: Bruins, Habs and Game 7s
By ESPN Stats and Information
• Boston and Montreal are meeting for the eighth time in a Game 7. That is the most among the four major leagues that have a 7-game playoff format (MLB, NBA, NHL). Montreal owns a 5-2 advantage over the Bruins in Game 7s. They last met in a Game 7 in 2008. Montreal won that meeting, 5-0.
• Montreal is 13-8 in Game 7’s all-time. They have won their last four Game 7 appearances, which include two wins over the Bruins. Their last Game 7 loss came on April 29, 1994 to the Bruins at Boston Garden.
• Carey Price's only previous Game 7 was a 5-0 shutout victory against the Bruins in Montreal in 2008. Price is one of three goaltenders in Canadiens history with a Game Seven shutout. The others are Gump Worsley (1965 vs. Chicago) and Jose Theodore (2004 vs. Boston).
• Boston is 9-10 in Game 7s all-time. They have lost 4 straight games, including last season’s heartbreaking loss to the Flyers. The Bruins led the series and Game 7, 3-0, before the Flyers rallied to win both.
• Dating back to the 2009 Conference Semifinals, the road team is 7-3 in the last 10 Game 7’s entering play on Wednesday. Two of those road losses came on Tuesday (Sabres lost at Flyers, Blackhawks lost at Canucks).
• Tonight will be the 22nd Game 7 in Montreal Canadiens history. No other NHL has appeared in more Game 7s. The Red Wings and Maple Leafs each have 21 appearances. The Bruins are making their 20th Game 7 appearance tonight.
• The Bruins could become only the second team in NHL history to finish a playoff series of seven games without scoring at least one power play goal in that series. Coincidentally, Boston was the team that did it, in a seven-game loss to the Canadiens in the 1952 semifinals.
• Bruins head coach Claude Julien is 1-3 all-time in Game 7’s. All 3 of his losses have come with the Bruins. Coincidentally, his lone Game 7 win came against the Bruins in 2004… as head coach of the Canadiens!
• Milan Lucic 3 career goals in Game 7’s, the most by any active Bruin.
• Here's a look at the active Bruins' statistics in Game 7s: