Friday, April 27, 2012
GM expects Horton to recover for '12-13
By James Murphy
BOSTON -- Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Friday that he expects winger Nathan Horton to recover fully from his concussion and be ready for the 2012-13 season.
"It's not 100 percent, but in my experience with the concussions here, the information the doctors give me following the concussions and shortly in the rehab period, they've been spot on," Chiarelli said.
After suffering a concussion in Game 3 of last year's Stanley Cup finals, Horton suffered a second concussion on Jan. 22. It was originally diagnosed as a mild concussion, but he was never able to return to action. He was officially ruled out for the playoffs just prior to the Eastern Conference quarterfinals series the Bruins lost to the Capitals in seven games.
"How Nathan's concussion was characterized for me was mild and was a completely different, independent of the hit in the (2011) finals," Chiarelli said Friday. "There's a whole bunch of other things that surround concussions that we're looking at with Nathan, but every bit of information provided to me in the past and with Nathan has been spot-on. I know we were expecting better recovery time for Nathan and for certain reasons he didn't, but I have complete confidence in the information that was given to me that he'll be back. I can't say it's 100 percent."