First impressions: First practice
- Not in 'Celtics shape': Coach Doc Rivers ran his team through a three-hour session, but noted he wasn't thrilled with the conditioning of his squad. "Well, they didn't hold up very well, honestly," said an already hoarse Rivers. "It was a long practice with a lot of talking, as you can tell from my voice. We won't go three hours every day, but we needed it today."
- Doc fires back at Baby: Rivers brushed off Glen Davis's comments at media day, in which Davis complained about not having a defined role. "I think he's living up to [his nickname] again," Rivers said of Big Baby. Later he added, "If Baby doesn't know his role by now, he's going to be sitting down a lot. I'll just leave it that simple."
- Shaq enjoys first practice: Shaquille O'Neal gave a thumbs-up after his first session in green and was one of the players singled out by Rivers as being in advanced shape. O'Neal took turns with Jermaine O'Neal on the first unit, but spent most of the segment viewed by the media with the second unit.
- KG & Shaq still having fun: One day after goofing around during media day, the fun continued between Kevin Garnett and Shaq. KG was answering questions for reporters when Shaq walked up beside him and tried to distract him. Garnett kept his focus looking forward, but couldn't help but chuckle when O'Neal started doing the John Wall dance.
- Welcome to camp: The Celtics brought 20 players to camp: the 15 with guaranteed contracts, Tony Gaffney (non-guaranteed contract) and four invitees in Stephane Lasme, Jamar Smith, Mario West and Chris Johnson. Kendrick Perkins (knee) and Avery Bradley (ankle) did not participate due to injury, while Johnson watched from the sideline (though he is expected to be in action by tomorrow). Rivers noted that some invitees are in camp with hopes of sliding through to the Maine Red Claws of the NBA Development League, while others are fighting for a job on the 15-man roster. He said it will become evident which players are in which group through camp.
Play Podcast Buster Olney talks to Marc Topkin about the Rays' plans with David Price. Plus, Jayson Stark on Price and the rest of the trade market as the trading deadline looms over MLB.
Play Podcast Patriots QB Tom Brady talks about donating to The V Foundation for Cancer Research and more.
Play Podcast FOX's Joe Buck discusses his memories of Derek Jeter, Jeter's final season, the rivalry between the Yankees and the Red Sox and the rosters for the 2014 MLB All-Star Game.
Play Podcast ESPN NBA Insider Brian Windhorst weighs in on the Heat's reaction to LeBron James' departure, James' mindset regarding free agency, whether the Cavaliers should pursue Kevin Love and more.