Quick hits from Celtics practice
December, 11, 2011
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com
Chris Forsberg/ESPN BostonThe Celtics huddle up near the end of practice on Sunday.WALTHAM, Mass. -- Quick hits after the Celtics practiced Sunday at HealthPoint:
* Rondo injures ankle: Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo sprained his right ankle and did not finish the session. Coach Doc Rivers said the injury is nothing major, but that Rondo landed awkwardly on a teammate's foot while shooting and took the rest of the practice off.
* Thin on bodies ... still: With Rondo departing and captain Paul Pierce sidelined for a second session due to a sore right heel, the Celtics closed practice with a mere eight available bodies. Even though the team announced his deal Saturday, Jeff Green was not able to participate in the session. But he is expected to be on the court Monday (he observed Sunday's practice, then did light shooting drills with teammate Avery Bradley after the session).
* West sign-and-trade is dead: As ESPN.com's Marc Stein noted, the potential sign-and-trade deal that would have brought David West to Boston died Sunday, seemingly because of New Orleans' inability to find a team to take Jermaine O'Neal. West instead signed a two-year, $20 million deal with the Indiana Pacers on Sunday. Larry Bird wins this battle with old friend Danny Ainge.
* What's the hold-up?: Rivers said paperwork is holding up Boston's ability to get players on the court. That includes rookies JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore, though you can't help but wonder if the Celtics were not exactly in a rush for those deals to get pushed through while exploring potential trade opportunities. Once a rookie is inked, he cannot be traded for 30 days. Why is Brandon Bass not able to practice after being acquired from Orlando in a sign-and-trade for Glen Davis? Remember that Von Wafer was a late addition to that deal and Joshua Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel noted that Davis was unable to practice this weekend while the Magic waited for Wafer's letter of clearance from the Italian team he played for during the lockout. Expect an influx of bodies on Monday when most of those paperwork issues can be resolved.
* Loose balls: Players drawing large media crowds included Chris Wilcox and Ray Allen ... Training camp invite Jamal Sampson came onto the floor to stretch with strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo ... Sampson, Michael Sweetney and Gilbert Brown are the camp invites still waiting for clearance to join practice activities.