Quick hits from Celtics practice
* Rivers: Green's surgery "went great": Celtics coach Doc Rivers relayed encouraging news after Jeff Green underwent surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm on Monday at the Cleveland Clinic. Read more HERE.
* Daniels the only player missing: Swingman Marquis Daniels sat out the session due to illness. Like with Ray Allen last week, Rivers told Daniels to stay away from the facility instead of risking getting others sick. "He’s not feeling great, so we told him not to come," said Rivers, before quipping, "The Ray Allen disease."
* Pietrus aiming for Wednesday debut: Swingman Mickael Pietrus went through his first full-length, full-team practice Monday and Rivers wasn't sure he ever left the floor during the two-hour session. Having spent the past two weeks strengthening his right knee after offseason surgery, Pietrus amusingly declared that he's hoping to be on the court Wednesday night against the Dallas Mavericks. When a reporter asked when he might be ready for game action, Pietrus asked if that reporter had a watch -- waited a beat -- then said "48 hours from now."
* Conditioning in focus: The Celtics closed practice Monday by running spirited no-dribble, three-man weaves up and down the court. Rivers admitted he hasn't been pleased with his team's conditioning and used plenty of running during Monday's session to get their winds up.
* Prediction time!: Celtics forward Brandon Bass -- a biased LSU alumni -- picked the Tigers by a field goal over Alabama in tonight's national title game. Rivers echoed his pick and noted he correctly called Tim Tebow and the Broncos topping the Steelers. "What did I say, I was positive that Denver was going to win," said Rivers. Asked who would win the Patriots-Broncos clash, Rivers didn't miss a beat, proclaiming, "I'm positive New England's going to win."
Play Podcast ESPN NFL analyst Tedy Bruschi weighs in on the responsibility Tom Brady shoulders for the Patriots, Rob Gronkowski's physicality and how New England will use Darrelle Revis.
Play Podcast Buster Olney talks to Alex Speier, Karl Ravech and Justin Havens about whether the Red Sox will move Jon Lester before the trade deadline, pace of play and much more.
Play Podcast NFL Films' Greg Cosell covers the Cowboys' defense, Rob Gronkowski's impact, Darrelle Revis' performance last season, the Giants' talent level and the outlook for the Cardinals.
Play Podcast Buster Olney and Keith Law talk about the Tigers' acquisition of Joakim Soria and whether it's wise to trade within the division. Plus, Matt Gelb on the Phillies' plans.