Pregame: Rivers on Wilcox, trade deadline
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A handful of pregame soundbites and nuggets before the Boston Celtics visit the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena:
* Celtics coach Doc Rivers on the news that Chris Wilcox will miss the rest of the year: "It’s obviously tough -- tough for Chris first, but in the grand scheme of things, Lawrence Frank sarcastically [texted], 'You guys are in the business of savings lives.' In retrospect, that’s true. I’d rather have it that way. Basketball-wise, it puts us in a bit of a hole, so we have until [Thursday] to see if we can extract a big from somewhere. But we don’t want to give up anything. It’s going to be tough to do."
* Rivers on if there's an overwhelming urgency to obtain a big man: "Not really. The one thing I said in [his] last conversation [with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge] was that, at the end of the day, I like our team. Obviously we need a big, but let’s not do anything that hurts this team this year or the future to try to get a big. I just don’t think we should do that."
* Rivers on if he thinks his team will be intact in 24 hours: "I would be surprised if we’re not. But you never know. Last year I may have made that statement and we traded nine guys. I mean this thing goes pretty quickly. I guess you’re telling me that Dwight [Howard] is going to be back in play, so you never know."
* Celtics captain Paul Pierce, walking through the locker room and greeting reporters, playfully shouted, "I'm still here! I'm still here!" while glancing at the clock. You have to keep a sense of humor at the trade deadline.
* Ray Allen responded fine after rolling his ankle in Los Angeles on Monday; Rivers said the team is as healthy as it gets and everyone -- at the moment -- is available (beyond Wilcox and Jermaine O'Neal).
Play Podcast Men's Journal's Paul Solotaroff weighs in on the characterization of Richard Sherman, the relationship between Sherman and Patrick Peterson and expectations for Darrelle Revis.
Play Podcast Adnan Virk talks to Tim Kurkjian about dominant pitching performances and the search for the next commissioner. Plus, Arash Madani on if the Blue Jays can make the playoffs.
Play Podcast NFL Films' Greg Cosell weighs in on whether the Browns should start Brian Hoyer or Johnny Manziel, the Jets' QB situation, Ryan Mallett's abilities and Robert Griffin III's development.