WALTHAM, Mass. -- Domestic violence charges against Boston Celtics forward/center Jared Sullinger were dismissed Monday in Waltham District Court.
Sullinger and his lawyer Charles Rankin declined comment at the courthouse.
Sullinger faced charges of assault and battery, destruction of property, and witness intimidation in connection with an Aug. 31 confrontation with his girlfriend. The woman accused Sullinger of pinning her to a bed and the floor at his Waltham home. On Sept. 3, Sullinger pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and battery, malicious destruction of property and witness intimidation and was released on $5,000 bail.
The 21-year-old Sullinger appeared in court on Monday for a second pretrial hearing where Rankin asked for charges to be dismissed. His girlfriend's lawyer had previously filed an affidavit with the court stating that her client "did not want to pursue the case and is not fearful of Mr. Sullinger."
With the Celtics set to open the 2013-14 season on Oct. 30, Sullinger can put the court process behind him. The team offered support while the legal process played out.
"I think Jared is a good kid. And he's a good Celtic," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said last month. "And he's a guy that we have big hopes for. We don't think he's done anything so wrong that he shouldn't be part of our team today."
After his arrest, Sullinger released a statement through the Celtics in which he apologized and called the experience "humbling and embarrassing."
"I know that this situation has brought both sorrow and embarrassment to my girlfriend, my family, the Boston Celtics organization, my teammates and my fans," he said. "To all of you, I apologize from the bottom of my heart."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.