- Chris Forsberg, Celtics reporter, ESPNBoston.com
- 0 Shares
A few odds and ends around the Boston Celtics as we trudge towards the start of training camp later this month:
• Moser signs in Lithuania: Mike Moser, an undrafted rookie who raised eyebrows with solid play for the Celtics summer league team in Orlando, has reportedly signed to play overseas in Lithuania. Moser was exploring NBA camp invites, but Boston didn't offer a particularly enticing chance to stick on a regular-season roster. The Celtics are already at max capacity of 20 players -- this without even officially signing Evan Turner yet -- and need to trim to 15 before the start of the regular season. The players invited to camp for the Celtics are likely ticketed for the Maine Red Claws of the D-League. Playing overseas offers a more lucrative option for Moser.
• Thornton visits Boston: Marcus Thornton appears to have made his first appearance in Boston since being acquired via trade in July, visiting the area last week. One jersey-watching Tweeter suggests he'll wear No. 27 for the Celtics (last seen on Jordan Crawford last season). Thornton has a relationship with Brandon Bass -- both grew up in Baton Rouge, La. and attended LSU -- and Thornton showed up at Bass' summer camp this offseason.
• Stretch deadline passes: The Celtics appear to have allowed the Aug. 31 deadline to utilize the stretch provision pass. Teams can waive players and pay their guaranteed salaries over an extended schedule (twice the number of remaining years, plus one). Some had wondered if the team might consider that option for players that don't fit the team's long-term future, but in a rebuilding year, the Celtics seem content to pay as much salary as necessary (so long as they stay out of the luxury tax) in hopes of keeping their books clean for future years when they might return to contender status.
• Doc's office: CNN's Rachel Nichols posted a snapshot of former Celtics coach Doc Rivers' home office and there's an awful lot of green in there.
A few odds and ends around the Boston Celtics as we trudge towards the start of training camp later this month:• Moser signs in Lithuania: Mike Moser, an undrafted rookie who raised eyebrows with solid play for the Celtics summer league team in Orlando, has reportedly signed to play overseas in Lithuania.