Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Sources: Clips walk away from deal
The latest twist in the Doc Rivers saga:
The Los Angeles Clippers informed the Boston Celtics on Tuesday morning they are pulling out of talks to acquire Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers, sources told ESPN.
The teams have no plans to speak again, the sources said, and the Clippers are preparing to move on and hire a coach this week.
The talks broke down Tuesday morning when the Clippers "refused to budge" on Boston's latest proposal that asked for DeAndre Jordan, straight up for Garnett, and two first-round draft picks as compensation for allowing Rivers out of the final three-years and $21 million of his contract.
A team source told ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg that "of course" Rivers is welcome to return to coach the Celtics. The question now is whether Rivers still desires to return after this publicized flirtation with the Clippers and his obvious uneasiness about a rebuilding process in Boston.
The Clippers will now go forward with second interviews of Byron Scott on Tuesday and Brian Shaw on Wednesday, where each will meet with owner Donald Sterling. Lionel Hollins had a two-day interview in which he met with Sterling last week.
Clippers sources say the team expects to hire a coach by the end of this week, or early next week.
Hop HERE for the latest.