Thursday, January 23, 2014
Ainge: C's, Rondo have talked extension
By Chris Forsberg
Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said the team has talked about a contract extension with point guard Rajon Rondo, but the restrictive nature of the collective bargaining agreement at the moment makes it more likely that talks will escalate after this season.
"We did talk to Rondo about extending him," Ainge said Thursday during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the SportsHub. "But that’s all part of the negotiation that will happen again this summer and most likely the summer after."
Later Ainge added, "In the collective bargaining agreement, there are limits on what can and can’t be done. Really, it’s not that Rondo doesn’t want to accept an extension, as much as it’s just not financially smart for him to accept it right now. We didn't think he would [sign], but we did try."
Pressed on the potential parameters of an extension, Ainge backed off noting as he often has that he preferred not to discuss negotiations through the media and admitting, "I think we've said enough."
But Ainge did note, "I think that Rondo will demand quite a bit in the open market. The competition for Rondo in free agency will be very high."
Rondo will enter the final year of a five-year, $55 million extension he signed in October of 2009 next season. The new CBA limits the length and value of a possible extension at the moment, though the two sides could re-explore that option this summer, though Rondo's most lucrative offer would come after the 2014-15 season, particularly when hitting the open market could further drive up his price.
Last week, Rondo returned from a near one-year absence after tearing his ACL. He appeared in three games before sitting out Wednesday's win in Washington as a precaution as he eases his way back.
(h/t: B-Robb at CelticsHub for transcribing the Rondo portions)