Recap: No. 10 Chelmsford 2, No. 21 Falmouth 2

FALMOUTH, Mass. -- Ties are telling sometimes.

While skating even 2-2 through a full 45 minutes in the opening round of the Cape Cod Cup Friday at the Falmouth Ice Arena, Buddy Ferreira held an entirely different opinion of his Falmouth team’s performance juxtaposed against that of Mike McGrath and his No. 10 Chelmsford squad.

“The good news is that we finally played three, solid periods,” the veteran Clippers bench boss said.

On the other hand, McGrath wasn’t so enthusiastic, saying, “Our M.O. this season so far has been that we come out and play two periods of hockey and then we know a game was coming. We knew we’d get bit, and I don’t want to take anything away from Falmouth, they outworked us today.”

The No. 21 Clippers (1-1-2) emerged with a jump in their strides and claimed the first lead at 10:13 of the first on Durham Ghelfi’s score, with Cyrus Wickersham and Nicky Lineaweaver.

Falmouth took that lead to the room for the first intermission before reigning MVC/DCL Most Valuable Player Tommy Bishop extended his game points streak to five games with an unassisted goal at 9:40 of the second.

“All you get from him is hard work and hustle,” McGrath said of Bishop. “I think what he’s dealing with now is that he has a bull’s-eye on his back and every game, every team’s strategy is to take him out of the game.”

The Lions (4-0-1) tallied the go-ahead goal less than two minutes later as Derek Adamson broke in on Cody Garcia (17 saves) with a partial break and finished 5-hole.

Falmouth notched the equalizer 1:59 into the third with Storm Fotiu taking Matt Kinchla’s feed and sniping it underneath the crossbar.

“Even if we didn’t score, we needed some quality shots,” Ferreira said of the Clippers’ third-period charge. “It started on the wall with [Matt] Kinchla and Ronnie [Zampanti], and it was just boom, boom, boom and they’re in all alone.

“It’s good to see that. That’s a line that we just put together, so it was nice to see them come together.”