MIAA hockey championships live updates


Hingham 3, Acton-Boxborough 1 (Final)

First period notes: Catherine Linehan put the Harborwomen on the board first at 5:58, putting back a rebound past A-B goaltender Cali Loblundo. The Colonials outshot Hingham, 10-7, in the period.

Second period notes: Defenseman Emily Falvey had the Harborwomen off to a 2-0 lead at 4:05 on an unassisted goal. Falvey turned an offensive zone turnover into a score with a wrist shot to the short side. Annie Nero got the Colonials back within a goal with seven minutes to play, knocking home a rebound through a scrum in front of Hingham netminder Beth Findley. Linehan tallied her second of the game with 3:49 remaining, after taking several jabs at the puck, which was sitting on the goalmouth.

Third period notes: Hingham comes right out and has another high quality scoring chance on Loblundo, but the seventh-grader stoned Linehan on a hat trick attempt. It's amazing how calm and composed the youngster is between the pipes.


No. 1 Malden Catholic 4, No. 2. St. John's Prep 3 (Final -- Overtime)

First period notes:We're ready to go on tonight's heavyweight bout. David Letarte is in goal for the Eagles, while Pat Young is between the Pipes for the Lancers. Both teams seemed to feel each other out in the first five minutes, with only one shot on goal from Prep. The second five minutes weren't much different, with just a couple more shots on either side. The teams are starting to pick up the physical play a bit, including a bit hit on Lancers' UNH commit Mike Vecchione in the corner. Garrett White had a chance from the circle with 3:00 to play, only to be rebuffed with a blocker save by David Letarte. The Lancers later went on their first power play of the game, on an elbowing penalty. Prep killed the man-advantage after surrendering just one high quality chance, coming on a one-timer from Ryan Fitzgerald. The Eagles closed out the period with a frenzy in front of Young, who turned away the initial chance by Sam Kurker and Colin Blackwell was unable to get to the loose puck in the slot. Prep outshot the Lancers, 7-6, by our count.

Second period notes: Prep took its first power play of the game on a tripping penalty at 1:05. Shane Eiserman helped to put Prep on the board first, sending a perfect feed to the slot on Matt McDonald's stick at 1:05. MC immeditately fired back with its third line contributing. Freshman Tyler Sifferlen put one in from the slot with an assist from Bob Keough, just 26 seconds after McDonald's strike. Then, Prep regained the lead with 6:08 to play with Harvard commit Colin Blackwell banking one in from behind the goal line off an MC defender's skate. Blackwell sets up John Farrow with a perfect cross-ice pass for a 3-1 Prep lead with 2:54 remaining. MC again answered right back, 26 seconds later, with Vecchione feeding Fitzgerald in the slot with a laser-guided pass. Vecchione then one-uped himself with a brilliant goal. The winger fought off two Prep defenders and beat Letarte lifting the puck while falling forward into the crease. The tally with 6.8 seconds remaining capped off a period rife with dazzling offensive play. MC outshot Prep, 17-8, in the period.

Third period notes: This game has now taken on its form the first period, with tight forechecking and scoring chances few and far between. MC has its third power play of the game at 6:29, but can only muster one shot. Prep goes on the power play again with 3:15 to play on a tripping call. The Lancers kill the man-advantage, but go right back into the box with a slashing penalty with 1:49 to play. MC takes a timeout. The Lancers kill yet another chance and we're going to play another 12 minutes of hockey ... at least.

Overtime notes: Can tell legs are starting to get a little weary, plays slowed down and they're grinding it out more. Also seen a couple strange hops with pucks bouncing over sticks. MC gets the first shot on goal at 4:05. Brendan Collier ends it and what a goal it was. The BU commit placed a backhander ticketed for the top shelf inside the crossbar from inside the right wing circle at 4:50. What a finish.


Marshfield 3, Wakefield 2 (Final)

First period notes: It's clear that the Warriors wanted to establish a physical presence early in this one and Wakefield did well to keep Marshfield's horses in the stable. The Rams had their chances, outshooting Wakefield, 7-4, in the period, but most of the shots were limited to the periphery. Marshfield was 0-for-1 on the power play.

Second period notes: Marshfield got itself a lucky bounce when leading scorer Ryan Connors threw a pass blindly into the slot. The puck deflected in off a Warrior defenders' skate in front and through the 5-hole of Joe Cerulo, who's looking mighty tough to beat. Some scary moments with 11:22 to play on the clock, after colliding with a Wakefield defender battling for a loose puck, Rams forward Chris Perry was taken off the ice on a stretcher. It appeared as though Perry suffered a laceration on his right leg, above the shin pad, by the opposing player's skate. Once play resumed after an approximately 10-minute delay, the Rams successfully killed a Wakefield power play. The Warriors took advantage of the second of two power play opportunities in the period with Adam Gincola letting a wrister go from inside the right wing circle at 11:04. The teams were even with eight shots each in the period.

Third period notes: Giancola came ready to play and was ready to start the third period quickly, netting his second of the game on a centering feed from Alec Brown. Marshfield went on the power play with 13:30 to play. As soon as the Warriors killed the man-advantage, Wakefield went on the power play with 12:34 to play. Connor McLean finally beat Cerulo again with 3:35 to play. Ty Martina provided the set up with a great centering pass on the backhand after fishing the puck out from the corner. Moments later, Mike Carbone broke into the Wakefield zone and left off a wrist shot from inside the right wing circle. The wrister beat Cerulo stick side, inside the far side post with 1:31 to play. Cerulo was pulled for the extra attacker with a little more than a minute to play. The Rams wore out the storm, despite several icing calls, with Kyle Moran making a few key saves. Wow.


Tewksbury 2, Franklin 1 (Final -- Overtime)

First period notes: This one has the atmosphere of a state championship game with great turnouts by the Franklin and Tewsbury faithful. Scoring chances have been pretty much even throughout, but the Redmen had several great looks at the net on their first power play of the game with about four minutes remaining. Panthers netminder Billy Spillan made a couple of big saves on Rob Pruyne's blasts from the point, with one nearly trickling through the 5-hole and Spillane sheepishly looking backward. The Panthers ended the stalemate after 15:59 of play, James Marchand banking home the rebound off the backside boards on Tom Carlow's shot. Franklin outshot Tewksbury, 8-6.

Second period notes: The terrific up-and-down pace continued with both Spillane and Niko Cunha matching each other save for save. Perhaps none was bigger than Spillane's theft of Redmen sniper Ryan Doherty on a 2-on-1 chance. Doherty looked sure to have the game-tying tally, only to have Spillane flash the left pad, kicking out his one-timer. Tewksbury finally potted the equalizer with 4:18 to play; Frank Mazzei put back the rebound off of Derek Petti's wrist shot. The Redmen outshot Franklin, 12-5.

Third period notes: A couple of great scoring chances as this one continues not to disappoint. Nick Bertoni had an early breakaway chance, but was unable to sneak his backhand attempt through the 5-hole with Cunha making a toe save on the left side post. Tewksbury countered a few minutes later with Doherty and Petti engaging on a give-and-go, only to see Petti's one-timer go wide. The teams had five shots a piece in the third. Franklin outshot Tewksbury, 28-23, during regulation.

Overtime notes: Mark Petti wins is just 53 seconds into overtime. What else is there to say? Great game.


Marblehead 6, Westfield 3 (Final)

First period notes: Despite controlling play early, Westfield got on the board first with Nick Sibilia taking a neutral zone turnover and beating Tony Cuzner glove side with 9:48 to play. The Headers responded a few minutes later with Austin Haley putting back a rebound of a Tyler Gelineau shot. However, the Bombers came back, regaining the lead with a minute to play. Conner Laraway buried the rebound off of Kyle Levere's breakaway chance for a 2-1 lead. A scary moment moments later with Westfield senior forward Mike Tanski going down hard with an apparent lower body injury. After spending several minutes on the ice while being attended to by trainers, Tanski skated off with the help of two teammates. Marblehead outshot the Bombers, 16-7.

Second period notes: The Headers continued to get chances in the second, the only difference was that they finished in the second. The Magicians scored four straight goals to open the second. Ben Koopman got the party started with a wrister from the point off a face-off win. Chris McLeod followed with a power play marker at 2:18. Jake Kulevich then tallied two straight goals, the first coming on the man-advantage with 10:20 to play. Kulevich then had the Headers to a 5-2 lead with 5:51 to play. However, the Bombers responded before time expired, with Matt Gagnon pulling them within two goals with a minute remaining. Marblehead absolutely lived in the Bombers' zone, outshooting Westfield 22-8.

Third period notes: The Headers pick up exactly where they left off with Hunter Graves getting into the act in the first minute of play.


Duxbury 2, Fontbonne Academy 1 (Final)

First period notes: Neither side had much going in the first and went the room tied, 0-0. The Lady Dragons outshot Fontbonne, 5-4.

Second period notes: The Dragons continued to control play with Briana Connolly opening up scoring in the opening minute. Duxbury was held scoreless on two power play opportunities, however, with netminder Len Crofton making some key stops. Duxbury again outshot the Ducks, by a handy 17-8 margin.

Third period notes: The Ducks began the period on a power play, only to see several shots kicked back at them by Duxbury netminder Rachel Myette. Things opened up in the final three minutes with a flurry of up-and-down action. Taylor Shepherd again scored a dramatic big game goal, breaking into the zone and beating Myette from her knees with 2:45 to play, tying the game. However, the Dragons came storming right back to clinch the game-winner. With 45.5 seconds to play, Hannah Murphy streaked into the zone, beat a Duck defender left off a wrister from inside the circle before jumping up into the backside boards in celebration. Fontbonne had a chance to tie in the closing seconds after a tripping penalty wiht 28 seconds remaining. Myette remained strong making a couple of saves to clinch it.