No. 7 Hingham holds off Flibotte, barely

COHASSET, Mass. -- When Thomas Flibotte gets going, he’s nearly unstoppable.

The Cohasset boys’ lacrosse All-American had another one of those nights, striking for five goals against No. 7 Hingham on Tuesday. And, after watching Flibotte notch a hat trick in the second quarter while falling behind the 12th-ranked Skippers by four goals, the Harbormen could have packed it in.

“But we didn’t buckle,” Hingham head coach John Todd said.

The Harbormen scored four straight goals to open the second half and slowed Flibotte down just enough to give themselves a chance.

Hingham held an 11-10 lead with less than a minute to play when Flibotte held the game on his stick. The Bucknell commit streaked in on the wing and let off a shot from 15 yards out, but Harbormen goaltender Derek McInnis made the save, preserving the victory.

“You couldn’t ask for anything more,” Todd said. “Maybe it’s that we matched up well against them. But Thomas Flibotte is amazing. I think we had all we could handle in just trying to be with him, never mind controlling him.”

Hingham (11-2) had its own offensive stars with junior captain Kevin Blair collecting a six-point game (3 goals, 3 assists). Karl Weller chipped in a three-point game with two goals while Noah Ellis also netted two goals, including the game-winner.

Kyle Livingstone, who missed significant time with an injury, marked his return to the Cohasset lineup with a two-goal game.

The Harbormen emerged from a two-goal halftime deficit to score the first four goals of the second half.

Blair figured prominently in the comeback. He set up David Freitas’ goal to start the third quarter before tying the game with 37 seconds remaining in the period.

Blair netted his hat trick one minute into the fourth, providing Hingham with a 9-7 lead. John McGoldrick and Flibotte countered to tie the game 9-9, but Hingham captain Tim Driscoll broke the deadlock with 5:30 to play.

Ellis netted the game-winner with 2:47 remaining with an assist by Blair. Undaunted, Flibotte responded to draw the Skippers (10-4) with a goal with 1:32 to play.

However, Cohasset wasn’t able to find the net again despite having three offensive possessions within the final minute. The best chance came on Flibotte’s break with 25 seconds remaining with McInnis making a sensational save.

“That was a huge save,” Todd said. “But then we were able to clear the ball. We made some stupid mistakes within a minute there. We stepped out of the box when we could’ve gotten a little more time off the clock.

“But, hey, it all worked out.”