Sunday, March 2, 2014
Top MIAA hoop performances: March 1
By Brendan C. Hall
Each and every night throughout the MIAA basketball playoff season, we will highlight the state's top performances. Here are my top performances from Saturday's slate of MIAA basketball state tournament play.
As a reminder, readers are encouraged to submit their top performances via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or tweeting at ESPN Boston High Schools editor Brendan Hall (@BHallESPN). Deadline for all submissions each night is midnight.
1. Meghan Foley, Soph. G, Mystic Valley Registered 33 points and 12 rebounds in a 68-61 win over Maimonides in a D4 North quarterfinal. Twenty-three of her 33 came in the second half as Mystic Valley overcame an eight-point second half deficit. Playing all 32 minutes, she only committed two turnovers.
2. Matt Weso, Jr. C, Arlington Catholic Nearly had a 20-20 night for the Cougars in their 70-50 win over Swampscott in D3 North, registering 19 points and 20 rebounds.
3. Amy Assad, Jr. F, Millis Totaled 21 points and 14 rebounds in the Mohawks' 50-35 upset of Greater Lowell in D4 Central.
4. Colleen Corcoran, Soph. F, Bishop Fenwick Registered 22 points and 13 rebounds in the Shamrocks' 49-35 win over cross-town rival Attleboro in D1 South.
5. Shaquan Murray, Sr. G, New Mission Filled up the stat sheet with 20 points, eight rebounds and six steals in the Titans' win over Burlington in D2 North.
6. Erin Antosh, Fr. F, North Middlesex Catalyzed the Patriots with 20 points and 10 rebounds in the Patriots' 52-38 win over Taconic in D2 West.
7. Diondra Woumn, Sr. G, Lynn English Registered her 1,000th point, part of a 15-point effort, in the Bulldogs' easy defeat of Billerica in D1 North.
8. Sue Rose, Sr. G, Hamilton-Wenham Racked up 10 assists, to go along with 15 points, in the Generals' win over Dracut in D2 North.
9. Devon Chase, Fr. F, Stoneham Came off the bench to spark the Spartans with 12 points and 14 rebounds in a D3 North quarterfinal win over Greater Lawrence.
Maura Buckley, Sr. F, Arlington Catholic Scored her 1,000th point, part of a 17-point outburst, in the Cougars' D2 North win over Pentucket.