(Records are reflected through Apr. 21)
1. BC High (7-1; Last Week – 2) With super-sophomore Mike Vasil leading the way, the Eagles rotation looks unstoppable. Head coach Norm Walsh shuffled his lineup to produce some very positive results, and BC High looks to be head and shoulders above the competition right now.
2. St. John’s (Shrewsbury) (6-1; Last Week – 1) Pioneers suffered their first loss of the season on Patriots’ Day against Pope Francis, but quickly bounced back with a win over Worcester Doherty and a walk-off victory against Algonquin Regional.
3. St. John’s Prep (5-1; Last Week – 6) By the skin of their teeth, the Eagles got past Malden Catholic 4-3 in huge conference tilt on Thursday. Combine that with a convincing 5-2 win over Lincoln-Sudbury and last year’s Super 8 runner-up vaults up the rankings.
4. Xaverian (5-1; Last Week – 3) The Hawks came up with quality wins against Walpole and Newton North, but lose out to St. John’s Prep in the strength of schedule department. Those two Catholic Conference powers will face off next Monday to determine which program is superior at this point in the season.
5. Braintree (3-1; Last Week – 9) After losing 4-0 to Norwood’s dynamic starter Sean Mellen, Braintree’s offense came alive during impressive victories over Peabody (7-1) and Mansfield (7-0). Up next is a meeting with No. 1 BC High on Saturday.
6. Plymouth North (5-1; Last week - 11) Two walk-off wins in a three-day span allowed the Eagles to edge two of their biggest rivals in Silver Lake and Bridgewater-Raynham. This senior-laden team is certainly in the Super 8 picture one quarter through the season.
7. Silver Lake (5-1; Last Week – 7) The Lakers dropped a heartbreaker at Plymouth North this week but remain one of the most dangerous teams in the state with a 1-2 punch of Anthony Videtto and Jason Johndrow atop their rotation.
8. Lincoln-Sudbury (4-2; Last Week – 4) You can certainly excuse the Warriors for a 5-2 loss at St. John’s Prep, but a puzzling 10-2 loss at Waltham two days later raises some eyebrows. Still, the Warriors took out their frustrations during an 18-8 slugfest to best Acton-Boxborough and potentially get back on track.
9. Malden Catholic (4-3; Last Week – 15) The Lancers three losses have come to powerhouse programs in the Catholic Conference, and they have a resume-building win with a 3-2 victory over St. Peter-Marian. There are few teams with as much potential as MC if they can get into the dance.
10. St. Peter-Marian (4-2; Last Week – 5) Guardians lost consecutive one-run games to Malden Catholic and Holy Name, which certainly hurts, but they still have the tools to go on a run and potentially get back in the Super 8 picture.
11. North Andover (5-0; Last week - 21) The undefeated Scarlet Knights can only play the teams on their schedule, and so far they’ve taken care of business to grab a stranglehold on first place in the Merrimack Valley Conference.
12. West Springfield (5-1; Last Week – 18) Terriers ace Nick Dombrowski struck out 13 during a one-hit shutout of Springfield Central on Thursday. With pitching like that to supplement a lineup featuring UConn commit Conor Moriarty, they’re a force to be reckoned with out west.
13. Bridgewater-Raynham (5-1; Last Week – 20) The Trojans suffered their first loss of the season at Plymouth North in the finals of the Brad Martin Tournament. Yet losing an extra innings thriller to a top ten team in the state reinforces the idea that they can compete with anyone.
14. Newton North (3-1; Last Week – 13) Tigers couldn’t muster anything against Xaverian right-hander Zack Sette during a 3-0 loss on Thursday. They’ll get a chance to prove they can handle Catholic Conference pitching in a matchup at Catholic Memorial this Saturday.
15. Danvers (4-0; Last Week – NR) The Falcons are running away with the Northeastern Conference after beating Peabody and Lynn Classical this week. With 50 runs scored over four games, their offense is clearly one of the best in the region.
16. Pope Francis (4-1; Last Week – NR) The Cardinals turned heads in Eastern Mass. by stunning St. Peter-Marian 2-1 on Patriots’ Day, and maintained their status as a top team out west with wins over East Longmeadow and Longmeadow after that.
17. Billerica (4-1; Last Week – NR) The Indians came back to defeat Lawrence in a huge confidence building win on Wednesday. With Brandon Jewer on the hill, they’re 3-0, as they might have found an ace to replace Kyle Murphy.
18. Norwood (1-2; Last Week – 9) A loss to Dedham to open the season could be written off, but a narrow 3-2 loss to Plymouth South indicates that the Mustangs aren’t the same elite team when ace Sean Mellen isn’t on the mound.
19. Bishop Feehan (6-1; Last Week – NR) After playing St. Peter-Marian tough, edging Franklin 6-5 and beating Walpole 8-3, it’s time for the Shamrocks to make their first appearance in the poll this season.
20. Walpole (3-2; Last Week – 12) Rebels fall way down the polls after dropping consecutive games to Xaverian and Bishop Feehan. The sledding won’t get much easier when they face St. John’s Prep in the Bay State versus Catholic Conference Tournament at Catholic Memorial this weekend.
21. Taunton (4-1; Last Week – NR) Tigers moved into second in the Hockomock Kelley-Rex with a 6-3 win over Stoughton on Wednesday. They'll get a chance to move into first if they can best Franklin at home and take down undefeated King Phillip on the road over the next week.
22. Acton-Boxborough (4-2; Last Week – 24) Colonials bounced back from a heartbreaking 3-2 loss at Westford Academy to best Lowell and edge conference foe Boston Latin in extra innings this week.
23. Taconic (4-0; Last Week – NR) The Braves stunned Westfield 8-2 on Monday and maintained their undefeated start with an 8-2 win over Monument Mountain on Wednesday.
24. Oxford (4-0; Last Week – 25) Another week and another convincing win for the Pirates, who remain a favorite to compete for the Div. 4 State Title.
25. Needham (6-0; Last Week – NR) The Bay State Conference is way up this year and the Rockets are undefeated so far. They’ll get into the meat of their conference schedule with games against Braintree, Walpole and Newton North next week.
Last 10 out: Belmont (4-0), Stoughton (3-1), Central Catholic (3-2), Marblehead (5-0), King Phillip (5-0), Minnechaug (3-2), Lowell (5-2), Catholic Memorial (2-4), Lawrence (3-1), Westfield (3-2)