- Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Picked-up pieces from Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio's news conference today:
1. Roster move coming. Caserio opened by saying the roster is at 89 players and a move could be finalized today. Asked for a hint, and if the player might be a veteran like safety Darren Sharper, Caserio laughed and said it wasn't a veteran. Jokingly, he told reporters to have their binoculars ready for practice (1:45 p.m.). [There was a new player at practice on the offensive line, rookie Mike Berry.]
2. Focusing on Lions. In touching on the team's third preseason game, in Detroit on Saturday, Caserio focused on two areas in which the Lions present "unique challenges" -- offensively with quarterback Matthew Stafford, receiver Calvin Johnson and tight end Brandon Pettigrew, and with the front four on defense.
3. Assessing the roster. Caserio touched on how the team's goal is to add as many good players as possible and create competition. "I would say, right now, there is good competition. The reality is, there is going to be some good football players we have to let go," he said.
4. A lot of tempo talk. Caserio referenced remarks made by Buccaneers players about how quickly the Patriots lined up offensively last Thursday. "The quicker you get to the line of scrimmage, the offense and Tom [Brady] in particular, has more time to evaluate the defense and say 'Here's what we can do.' I think there is a lot of stress and a lot of pressure that Bill [Belichick] puts on the players, both offense and defense, to play fast, because it forces you to think fast and that's what is going to happen when you get on the field Sunday."
5. Spikes rehabbing with team. A question was asked about whether injured linebacker Brandon Spikes, who has been sidelined for three weeks, is in good standing with the team. Caserio responded by saying that Spikes is no different than any player, "He's here, he's working, he's in the meetings, so he's doing everything that we've asked him."
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Picked-up pieces from Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio's news conference today:1. Roster move coming. Caserio opened by saying the roster is at 89 players and a move could be finalized today.