- Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
DENVER -- Leftovers from the Patriots' 41-23 win over the Broncos:
1. The Patriots were plus-3 in the turnover differential, and as ESPN.com AFC West reporter Bill Williamson points out, the Patriots are 101-4 since 2001 when they win the turnover battle. "You're not going to be minus-3 against the New England Patriots and win very many ballgames," Broncos coach John Fox said.
2. Linebacker Jerod Mayo on his five-year contract extension: "I just feel fortunate to be here another five years. Like I said, I thank Mr. Kraft and the Kraft family. My family. Coach Belichick and Floyd [Reese] for getting it done. I love it here. I love playing for New England. It's a great place."
3. One player in the locker room: "I don't care what anyone says, there is something different with the air here."
4. Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey on quarterback Tom Brady: "I said it before the game, he is still the best out there in my opinion. He is just patient. He knows his guys, where everyone is going to be. He is the best all-around quarterback that I know. That is what you expect out of him. He has been doing it for years."
5. Linebacker Jerod Mayo explained some of the early struggles in the running game: "It's like having an extra running back in the backfield, when you have Tebow or Michael Vick like that. It's just your eyes going all over the place instead of reading your keys."
6. Receiver Wes Welker finished with four catches for 41 yards, and in the process set a single-season career high with 1,380 receiving yards. His previous best was 1,348 receiving yards in 2009.
7. Tight end Rob Gronkowski had a quiet day by his standards (4 catches, 53 yards) and he now has 1,141 receiving yards on the season. Gronkowski needs 34 yards to pass Ben Coates for the single-season franchise record in receiving yards for a tight end.