- Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Cleaning out the training camp notebook:
1. The Titans reportedly have decided on second-year quarterback Jake Locker as their starter for the Sept. 9 opener against the Patriots. Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean first reported the news (link here). Here is a SportsCenter video with ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and analyst Bill Polian commenting on the decision (link here). The Patriots will still prepare for both Locker and veteran Matt Hasselbeck, but this simplifies things a bit for Bill Belichick from a game-planning perspective.
2. Preseason games can often be tough to watch, but for those looking for a few intriguing individual storylines, one of the best tonight is with rookie safety Nate Ebner (No. 43 on your roster). Ebner hardly played defense at Ohio State, but was selected in the sixth round mainly for his special teams prowess. But in practices over the last week, Ebner has been around the ball and he should get extended opportunities tonight at safety with rookie Tavon Wilson (second round) and veteran James Ihedigbo (foot) not expected to play.
3. Running back Jeff Demps has been assigned No. 42, which was BenJarvus Green-Ellis' number last season. Demps is not eligible to play in tonight's game, per NFL rules.
4. The Patriots play tonight and then will turn right back around Tuesday to travel to Tampa. The Patriots and Buccaneers are scheduled to have joint practices Wednesday and Thursday, but unlike the practices with the Saints earlier in training camp, these sessions will be closed to the public while media members will be present for about 30 minutes .
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Cleaning out the training camp notebook:1. The Titans reportedly have decided on second-year quarterback Jake Locker as their starter for the Sept.