- Mike Reiss, ESPN New England Patriots reporter
- 0 Shares
With news that the Patriots have acquired receiver Greg Salas from the Rams for a late-round 2015 draft choice, here is some background information on him:
1. Entered the NFL as a fourth-round draft choice of the Rams in 2011.
2. Played at Hawaii -- redshirt in 2006 before finishing in 2010 with Hawaii single-season records for receptions (119) and yards (1,889).
3. Team captain at Hawaii.
4. Broken fibula limited him to six games last season with the Rams, under offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. The McDaniels connection seems like a big part of this deal.
5. Measured at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds at 2011 NFL combine.
6. Has experience playing in the slot and outside.
7. At the 2011 combine, ran a 4.56 time in the 40-yard dash and had a 6.65 three-cone drill (combine results here). Not considered a burner.
8. The Pro Football Weekly 2011 draft guide described Salas this way: "Confident, scrappy, tough, physical football player who made a killing executing speed outs, underneath routes and seam routes in Hawaii's field-stretching system. Lacks ideal slot suddenness but is a savvy, effective zone beater with sure hands and could carve a similar niche as Jason Avant."
With news that the Patriots have acquired receiver Greg Salas from the Rams for a late-round 2015 draft choice, here is some background information on him:1.