- Field Yates, ESPN Insider
- 0 Shares
We continue our position-by-position look at the Patriots as they head into the draft with an examination of the offensive line.
Need level: Low-to-moderate
Overview: The Patriots' 2012 starting five remains intact after Vollmer was re-signed to a four-year deal, although key backup Donald Thomas signed with the Colts in free agency. The team added veteran tackle Will Svitek, who projects as the fourth tackle behind Cannon. With Thomas gone, look for Cannon to take more reps on the interior at guard, something that we saw a little bit of last season. Wendell was outstanding in his first year as a full-time starter, and it's worth noting his contract expires after the upcoming season. He would figure to be a player that the team would be interested in retaining and one that has dramatically improved since his days as a practice squadder. Finding some interior depth in the later rounds of the draft with an eye toward the future seems plausible.
Scouts, Inc. interior offensive line prospects of note:
1. G Chance Warmack, Alabama. 6-2, 317 pounds.
2. G Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina. 6-3, 311 pounds.
3. G Justin Pugh, Syracuse. 6-5, 307 pounds.
4. C Travis Frederick, Wisconsin. 6-4, 312 pounds.
5. G Kyle Long, Oregon. 6-6, 313 pounds.
6. G Larry Warford, Kentucky. 6-3, 332 pounds.
7. G Dallas Thomas, Tennessee. 6-6, 306 pounds.
8. C Brian Schwenke, California. 6-3, 314 pounds.
9. G Brian Winters, Kent State. 6-4, 318 pounds.
10. G Oday Aboushi, Virginia. 6-6, 308 pounds.
For additional information on these prospects and more, CLICK HERE to check out the Scouts Inc. player database (Insider content).