- Mike Reiss, ESPN New England Patriots reporter
- 0 Shares
Patriots coach Bill Belichick was a guest on Sirius XM NFL Radio's "Movin' the Chains" program on Friday, and here were a few soundbites of the interview that drew attention:
1. Veteran safety Adrian Wilson's role and if his long speed has declined. "He'll compete with our other safeties and we'll see how it all turns out. He's an experienced guy who brings an element of size and toughness to the position. He's been running well for us here in the offseason, so we'll see how that goes. I think he'll be all right."
2. Recapping Tavon Wilson's performance as a rookie. "Good. I think Tavon made a lot of progress over the course of the season. He's a solid guy who early in the year had to make some adjustments, like all rookies do. But he's mature, hard-working, a tough kid that has good size; he's physical. He played well for us in a number of situations, both close to the line, in the kicking game, and at times in the deep part of the field. He got his hands on some balls, had a few interceptions. He's an instinctive player and we feel good about his future here."
3. Trading for LeGarrette Blount. "We felt like we got good value for Blount. He's a guy that we basically gave up [Jeff] Demps for, and Demps, I'd say, is less of a proven player and there were some other issues with Jeff. With LeGarrette, he's been a productive player. He didn't play as much last year with the emergence of [Doug] Martin down there, so I can certainly understand that Tampa was in. We felt like he was a talented guy that we wanted to have on our team."
4. On the three Rutgers draft picks. "I think they are all pretty mature players. They've been in a real good program. Coach Schiano recruited a real good senior class; we saw those guys [come into the draft] this year. They've performed well and I think they're probably as a ready for professional football as just about any kids coming out of college. ... They're high-quality, high-character, hard-working guys."
Patriots coach Bill Belichick was a guest on Sirius XM NFL Radio's "Movin' the Chains" program on Friday, and here were a few soundbites of the interview that drew attention:1.