1. Starting right guard Stephen Neal (head) is out, with four-year veteran Dan Connolly the projected fill-in. Rookie Rich Ohrnberger is active for the first time and he is the top backup at center/guard.
3. While defensive end Jarvis Green (knee) is out, fellow defensive end Ty Warren (ankle) will play after missing last Sunday’s game. Mike Wright projects to start in Green’s place, with rookies Myron Pryor and Ron Brace the next linemen on the depth chart. Strong line play figures to be crucial against the physical Jets and their No. 1-rated rushing attack.
5. With receiver and special teams captain Sam Aiken (hip) inactive, the Patriots figure to lean more on Isaiah Stanback and Julian Edelman as a No. 3 receiver, while rookie Pat Chung projects to take over some of Aiken’s special teams duties.
6. Linebacker Rob Ninkovich (knee) is out, so the Patriots lose a backup sub rusher and special teams player. Eric Alexander (groin) is back in the lineup to help fill that void.
7. Cornerback Shawn Springs is out for the second straight week. This seems tied in part to the team calling on Kyle Arrington (four special teams tackles the last two games) and Terrence Wheatley (kickoff returns) on special teams.
8. Outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain (rib, groin) is active for the game. He is the Patriots' best pass rusher.