Sunday, December 27, 2009
Quick-hit thoughts on inactive players
By Mike Reiss
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Quick-hit thoughts from the Patriots’ inactive players:
1. Defensive lineman Vince Wilfork hoped to play, as he worked out for trainers in the 10 o’clock hour, but his injured foot is not ready. This is another reason why the Patriots would benefit greatly from clinching a playoff berth today so a player like Wilfork could have three weeks of rest heading into the playoffs.
2. Defensive lineman Ty Warren is active, but will not start. The Patriots will apparently see how the game unfolds in terms of how they use Warren. Mike Wright is expected to start at left end, with rookie Ron Brace or Myron Pryor at nose tackle.
3. Running back Fred Taylor is active for the first time since Oct. 4, when he injured his right ankle. The Patriots deactivated BenJarvus Green-Ellis, so they’ll need to juggle some parts on special teams.
5. Cornerbacks Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler are inactive, which is partially a result of special teams considerations. Cornerback Kyle Arrington has been impressive on special teams, so he gets the nod and is bumped up the depth chart on defense because of it.
6. Jaguars cornerback Rashean Mathis, one of the team’s best defenders, is active. He was questionable with a groin injury.