Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Cleaning out the Pats notebook
By Mike Reiss
Quick hits after reading through the New England Patriots training camp press release:
1. This year's training camp is scheduled to run through Monday Aug. 16. The team will break camp, then practice with the Atlanta Falcons at their Flowery Branch-based facility the next two days leading into the second preseason game.
2. The first seven days are scheduled as double sessions (schedule is subject to change). On days with two practices, they will most often be 9:30 a.m.-11:15 a.m. and 3:45 p.m.-5:30 p.m. On days with a single practice, the session will most often be held 2:30-4:30 p.m.
3. From a sports business perspective, it caught the eye that the team's training camp is being sponsored by UnitedHealthcare.
4. Bill Belichick will be holding his daily press conferences at 9 a.m. This is a break from the norm. No word on if he will be implementing fines for media members who might be strolling in late.
5. Torry Holt has caught a pass in 168 straight games, which is the second longest streak among active players and the ninth longest in NFL history.
6. The Patriots have held their training camp at Gillette Stadium since 2003, making this the eighth straight year they will remain at home for training camp. In making the switch to train at Gillette, the Patriots were one of 12 NFL teams to remain at their home facility. This year, 17 teams will be training at their home facility.