Sunday, July 3, 2011
Brady earns top spot in Top 100 show
By Mike Reiss
NFL Network's "Top 100 Players" show wraps up tonight and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has been voted to the No. 1 spot. The Top 100 was voted on by players in the NFL.
Brady is being presented by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis (video here from NFL.com).
Soundbites from Lewis and Revis:
1. "He's not the biggest, he was never the strongest, he was never the fastest. He was overlooked; he went in the sixth round. So with that being said, all the intangibles a quarterback is supposed to have, they overlooked with him, because it was burning from the inside of him."
2. "Tom Brady being No. 1, I wouldn't disagree at all. I think he's worked his way to earn that spot."
3. "He ain't never going to quit. Never. So until the triple zeros hit the clock, you're going to get everything Tom Brady has."
4. "It's a chess match because he understands every coverage, he understands every defense. If you give it away too early, then the game is like checkers for him. He plays it how he wants to play it."
5. "A play that always sticks out in my mind, they're playing Carolina in the Super Bowl [in the 2003 season]. Big third down. Of course, Carolina is playing that two-deep coverage. And you would think, OK, Tom Brady has to make this incredible throw, where is he going to go with the ball? But the weakness of cover-2, if you understand it, from Tom Brady's perspective, is if a linebacker is 1 on 1 with a [running] back, that's your best bet. He drops back and he simply drops the ball off to Kevin Faulk. Could he have tried to force it into a cover-2? Could he have tried to go to his tight end down the middle of the seam in a cover-2? Yeah. But that's what makes great players, great players. The unselfish players. When I saw that play, I said 'Wow. That's how simple he makes the game. The game ain't hard to him.' It's like a matrix where it slows down.' It's poetry when you see it from that angle."
6. "One day when my kids, when we have the conversation, I'll say 'I played against one of the great ones, I'm talking about the greatest of greats.'
7. "He was willing to go beyond limits that people won't go to. You don't find too many players that are willing to sacrifice that much time to doing that. That's why Tom Brady will always be considered one of the greatest of all time."
1. "I think players voted him No. 1 because he's a winner. He has a big heart. He doesn't like to lose. I see it twice a year, I always see it in his eyes. He's a warrior."
2. "The crazy thing about it is his accuracy. His accuracy of where he throws the ball, where as a defender you can't get it sometimes. You're here in position but then he's throwing it right there and Wes [Welker] is catching it an inch from the ground."
3. "When they protect him and he has time, the best, the best ever. The best in the game."
4. "He's pointing here, he's pointing there. To me, I think it's genius how he controls the offense."
5. "I think he's one of the best in the history of this league. I appreciate playing against him."