Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Cleaning out the Patriots notebook
By Mike Reiss
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Cleaning out the Patriots notebook...
1. A lot of discussion about Albert Haynesworth and his lack of practice time. Bill Belichick to sports radio WEEI on Monday: "I think Albert has been great since he's been here. He's worked hard. He's done more than really what we've asked him to do. He's put in a lot of extra time and a lot of extra effort to get back on the field, to study, to catch up on things from a playbook standpoint that's he a little behind on." Translation: Haynesworth is going to be a big part of what the Patriots do.
2. While Belichick was generally pleased with the Patriots' preseason opener, better ball security was at the top of his list when stressing to players some of the things that can be done better. The Patriots had five fumbles against the Jaguars in Belichick's view. The stat sheet noted three fumbles, but Belichick added two more after film review.
3. Belichick pushed the team hard this week, with the players in full pads Saturday, Sunday and Monday. He said he's liked the way players have responded.
4. The Jets' expected signing of 2009 first-round pick Aaron Maybin, the defensive end/outside linebacker waived by the Bills earlier in the week, seems like it's worth a shot. It's low-risk and potentially high-reward, which is Patriot-like.
5. Thursday night provides a chance to see a few former Patriots, as 2009 third-round pick Tyrone McKenzie (linebacker) and 2010 sixth-round pick Ted Larsen (guard) are on the Buccaneers' roster. McKenzie (jersey No. 50) was a backup in the Buccaneers' preseason-opening win over the Chiefs, while Larsen (jersey No. 62) started at left guard.