Tuesday, September 20, 2011
What they're saying in Buffalo
By Mike Reiss
Kevin Hoffman/US PresswireQB Ryan Fitzpatrick has Buffalo off to a 2-0 start.
Some links on what they're saying in Western New York as the Bills (2-0) prepare to face the Patriots (2-0) on Sunday:
1. Can Bills beat the Patriots? The always-entertaining and informative Leo Roth and Sal Maiorana, of the Democrat and Chronicle, let us in on their conversation and share thoughts on why Shawne Merriman hasn't been a big factor.
2. Unheralded players step up. Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle notes that the Bills are receiving a lot of production from "the little guy." The Bills have 28 players who were fifth-, sixth- or seventh-round picks, or weren't chosen at all in the draft.
3. Concerns with the Bills. Jerry Sullivan, the provocative columnist for the Buffalo News, touches on why Bills fans shouldn't get too excited about the 2-0 start. Where's the pass rush?
4. Ankle injury for Roscoe Parrish. The Bills' receiving depth takes a hit with Roscoe Parrish injuring his ankle, which is a long-term situation, Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News notes.
5. Starting right guard Urbik out. Depth along the offensive line, which has been an issue in recent years for the Bills, is once again in the spotlight with starting right guard Kraig Urbik out 2-4 weeks with a knee injury. The Buffalo News "BillBoard" blog has the details.
6. GM Buddy Nix likes what he sees. The "Inside the Bills" blog on the Bills' official website, updated by the tireless Chris Brown, has all the latest updates, including general manager Buddy Nix praising the team's offensive line and addressing speculation of a contract extension for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.