Friday, October 14, 2011
Quick hits from the locker room
By Mike Rodak & Mike Reiss
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Quick hits from the Patriots' locker room during the media-access period:
1. Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, who missed Thursday's practice for non-injury related reasons, spoke to reporters on Friday. "I just had to handle some personal business, but everything's good," Wilfork explained. "Ready to play Sunday."
2. Running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who also missed Thursday's practice with a toe injury, briefly walked through the locker room but did not address reporters. Green-Ellis was not wearing any sort of protective footwear, and did not walk with any noticeable limp.
3. Other players drawing large media crowds included wide receivers Wes Welker and Deion Branch and offensive tackle Matt Light.
4. Seeing linebacker Jerod Mayo walk through in his No. 51 jersey creates the impression that he might not be too far off from a return.
5. Rookie offensive lineman Marcus Cannon, who is eligible to come off the reserve/non-football inury list next week, looks like he's intensified his workouts. He walked through the locker room in a full sweat.
6. With defensive lineman Mike Wright landing on season-ending injured reserve Thursday, there are indications the team might be looking to add depth based on a new locker set up in the room. But at this point, no moves have been announced.
7. Reserve center/guard Ryan Wendell, who extended his contract through 2013 last month, touched on some added financial security. “I was happy to get it done and happy they wanted me a little while longer,” he said, adding that he feels he’s improved as a player because of good coaching and good teammates around him.