Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Areas to fill with final 2 spots
By Mike Reiss
The Patriots have two open spots on their 90-man training camp roster, and when looking at the numbers at each position, here is a quick-hit ranking of which positions look most thin:
1. Offensive tackle -- With starting right tackle Sebastian Vollmer opening on the active/physically unable to perform list and rookie Markus Zusevics on the active/non-football injury list, the club only has two layers on the depth chart with Nate Solder/Marcus Cannon and Kyle Hix/Matt Kopa. Three layers would be ideal.
2. Wide receiver -- Just 10 on the roster (9 healthy with rookie Jeremy Ebert on PUP). What was once an overstocked position with 13 is thinned after Chad Ochocinco, Anthony Gonzalez and Matt Roark are no longer with the club. Always helps to add numbers so top-of-the-depth-chart players don't get overworked and preserve their legs.
3. Tight end -- With Daniel Fells opening on the active/physically unable to perform list along with Jake Ballard, it leaves rookie Tyler Urban as the only backup behind Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez unless converted defensive lineman Alex Silvestro works there.
4. Offensive guard -- Starting left guard Logan Mankins opens on the active/PUP list and starting right guard Brian Waters hasn't been with the team in the offseason. Could always use more depth.
5. Defensive line -- Maybe another big body inside to ease the workload on Vince Wilfork and Co.