Monday, May 5, 2014
Picked-up Patriots pieces around Web
By Mike Reiss
A few picked-up Patriots pieces around the Web and elsewhere:
1. Phase 2 of offseason program begins today. As colleague Field Yates noted on Twitter, Monday marks the first day of the second phase of the Patriots' voluntary offseason program. The biggest change from Phase 1 to Phase 2 is that all coaches are now allowed on the field with players.
2. Kraft gets a vote as top owner. Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty puts together a list of the top owners in the NFL, and New England's Robert Kraft is the first mentioned.
3. Mankins a rare find at 32; Wilfork a gem at 21; Mayo a perfect 10. In an NFL.com piece, Chris Brockman goes through each first-round draft slot and picks the best prospect selected in the last 10 years, and the worst. New England's Logan Mankins (2005) is selected as the best 32nd pick, while Vince Wilfork gets the nod at No. 21 and Jerod Mayo at 10.
4. Su'a-Filo kept tabs on Mankins. During a visit to NFL Network studios, UCLA guard Xavier Su'a-Filo talked about the Patriots, including how he grew up watching Logan Mankins play. Su'a-Filo is viewed as one of the top guards in the draft, a late first-round to second-round projection.
5. D-line and running back targeted in mock. ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay went head-to-head on a three-round mock draft late last week and they stocked the Patriots along the defensive line while adding a power running back.
6. Why the NFL's schedule release is a worthy 'event'. Some personal thoughts on why the NFL's annual announcement of the regular-season schedule is one of my favorite days of the year.